A Canker sore (Apthous Ulcer)
Can be one of the most annoying & painful nuisances. (~20% of the population). Canker sores are usually small, (Some large- Major Apthlous Ulcers), shallow ulcers that appear in the mouth making eating & talking uncomfortable. Part of battling these sores involves recognizing exactly what might be causing them. Fortunately, there are some home remedies that seem to work.
* CITRUS OR ACIDIC FRUITS (such as lemons, oranges, pineapples, figs, tomatoes & strawberries) can trigger a canker sore or make the problem worst.
* STRESS : High stress & anxiety levels can often be the cause of a canker sore as well.
* BITING YOUR LIP: trauma from biting your lip or cheek can also be cause of a canker sore ( & painful ! )
** According to the Mayo Clinic, "possible triggers for canker sores include a minor injury to your mouth from dental work, overzealous brushing, sports mishaps, or accidental cheek bite."
*SPICY FOODS: Many people love to use hot sauce or hot peppers to add some kick to their favorite dishes. However, these spicy foods can definitely be one of the causes of frequent canker sores.
REMEDIES TO RID YOURSELF OF PAINFUL CANKER SORES:
1) Soaking a chamomile tea bag in water and placing it directly on the sore for five to 10 minutes can help you get rid of your canker sore more quickly. It has been shown that the chemicals in chamomile reduce inflammation & have antiseptic properties. Both of these properties will help reduce the pain of canker sores and may help speed the healing process.
** Mix 1 tsp. of salt into 1 cup of warm water (1/2 tsp. of baking soda may be added). Swish for 30 seconds, then spit.
3) Simply mix the Aloe with some water and swish it around in the mouth.
The gel from this plant soothes canker sores as well.
** Make sure you use the natural gel- not the green kind (OTC)
4) Your toothpaste may be the culprit. Certain ingredients in your toothpaste can cause canker sores. Switch to a toothpaste that does not contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), a foaming agent that may contribute to recurrences.
5) Benadryl mixed with Milk of Magnesia is a way to conquer canker sores.
** Rinse your mouth with a mixture of 1/2 of Milk of Magnesia and 1/2 Benadryl liquid allergy medicine. Swish the mixture in the mouth for about 1 minute, then spit it out.
6) Chewing on a Rolaid, Tums, or Pepto-Bismal- or just placing the tablets directly on canker sore can do absolute wonders. The pain that is felt from a canker sore is caused by acids and digestive enzymes eating into the tissue in the sore. The tablets will neutralize the acids and aid in the healing of the sores.
** Eat yogurt that contains live acidophilus cultures (check the label) Have a few teaspoons daily for prevention-more when you're having a breakout.
Cutting out canker-causing habits and trying these home remedies can make a world of difference.