What flavor is fresh? Unless you're a 5-year-old, we're guessing bubble gum doesn't come right to mind-or pork or vanilla ice cream. Strangely, though toothpaste, the ultimate breath freshener, comes in all of those flavors and many,many more. Mint, of course, dominates the market & for good reason. It's a proven bacteria fighter. But in recent years research has turned up promising stats on other ingredients-from sweet to spicy to downright strange-that do what mint does in the mouth and maybe more.
- Cinnamon- Get ready to think outside the tube. Research suggest cinnamon has properties that make it effective @ fighting both inflammation and bacteria, two of your mouth's biggest enemies. (Crest, Colgate & Jason Natural all make cinnamon toothpastes).
- Licorice- Some people love it. Some people hate it. But this flavor elicits such strong reactions thanks to it's intense active ingredient, glycyrrhizin. Research has also shown the stuff packs a punch against bacteria & plaque. (Nature's Gate Creme de Anise Natural Toothpaste).
- Tea Tree Oil- This essential oil has been used for ages for its antiseptic & anti-inflammatory properties. And research in recent years has confirmed that it can also fend off bacteria & inflammation in your mouth. ( Jason Natural Healthy Mouth Toothpaste or Tea Tree Therapy Natural Whitening Toothpaste).
- Pomegranate- Pomegranate possesses not just potent antioxidant powers but antimicrobial potential too. That means, in the microcosm of your mouth, it can knock out the bacteria that leads to gingivitis. ( Organique by Himalaya Neem & Pomegranate Toothpaste).
- Chocolate- Research out of Tulane University in 2007 showed that chocolate may not be bad for your teeth. The study found that a naturally occurring extract in cocoa powder and teas could strengthen enamel and work as as effective alternative to fluoride. More research is needed, however, if you forget to brush more often than you forget your daily dose of dark chocolate, there are a couple of toothpastes out there that may solve your problem. ( Closeup Choco Loco, Tanner's Tasty Paste in Cha Cha Chocolate).